News‎ > ‎

Four Fires

posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:49 AM by Charles Mitchell   [ updated Mar 18, 2014, 5:57 AM by John Guzzo ]
It was a busy two days for the Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company.  Between Thursday and Friday Aetna handled 20 fire/rescue calls.  Of those call, four were actual fires.

The first was Thursday afternoon on a mutual aid assignment.  While out on a pre-plan tour, Engine 9-5 and Rescue 8 responded to assist Christiana Fire Company on a kitchen fire in a Christiana Green townhouse. Ladder 9 also responded, from station 9. Crews laddered the building, assisted w/ searches of all 3 floors and performed overhaul.  At 6:00am the following morning crews units from all four stations responded to a fire in the Binns.  The first engine, 95, arrived to find fire from the second floor.  The crew from 95 extinguished the fire while Aetna and mutual aid units laddered the building, performed searches, checked for extension, and performed overhaul.  The scene was turned over to the city fire marshal.  At 7:30am Aetna was alerted to a fire at Colonial Garden Apartments. Engine 82 arrived first and while investigating found a smoke condition in the building.  Engine 10-5 arrived and the two crews located a small fire near the wall adjacent to a rear door near the molding and drywall.  The city fire marshal responded to this call as well.

The final fire of the day was a building fire was at 2:30pm on Chestnut Crossing Drive. While en-route, Aetna and mutual aid units were advised that New Castle County Police were on scene with smoke showing.  Chief 9-8 was first to arrive, confirmed the report, and found a fire in one apartment.  Engine 12-6 from the Christiana Fire Company was next to arrive and took a hand-line to the third floor.  Aetna crews laddered the building and established a water supply from the hydrant in front of the building. Mill Creek Ladder 21-7 set up their aerial to the roof to investigate.  The fire was knocked down within 10 minutes of Chief 9-8's arrival and after crews ventilated the building it was turned over to the fire marshal and building management.

Thank you to all of our members and especially to our mutual aid assistance for both our fires and for in station cover-ups.



 
Comments